Golden Turmeric Granola Clusters
Prep: 15 mins Cook time: 45 mins Total time: 1 hour
Original Author: blissfulbasil
Recipe type: Vegan & Gluten Free
Cuisine: Breakfast or Snack
Serves: 1/3 Cup
- 2 cups rolled oats, divided*
- ½ cup raw almonds
- ½cup raw shelled sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ½cup creamy unsalted almond butter
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cardamom (optional)
- ¼ tsp fine grain sea salt
- Preheat oven to 135C and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Add ½ cup of the rolled oats and the almonds to a food processor and process for 1 minute or until the texture resembles a coarse flour. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add the remaining 1 ½ cups of rolled oats, sunflower seeds, and hemp seeds. Use a large wooden spoon to mix.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the almond butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla, turmeric, cinnamon, cardamom (if using), and sea salt over low heat for 3 minutes or until smooth and glossy. Pour over the oat mixture and get stirring. Once every bit of the granola is evenly-coated, turn it out onto the lined baking tray and use the back of a spoon or spatula to spread it out into an even layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes, rotate the pan back-to-front, and bake another 20 to 26 minutes. The granola is ready when it’s wafting a toasted scent, the top is a very light golden-brown, and it feels firm but not yet crisp to the touch. Note: Granola doesn’t become crisp and crunchy until it’s had a chance to cool, so rely on look and scent more than touch or you’ll end up with burnt granola. Once the granola is ready, remove the pan from the oven and place it on an oven-safe cooling rack to allow air to circulate beneath and around the pan to efficiently cool and crisp the granola.
- Allow the granola to cool completely on the pan until it’s not even the slightest bit warm to the touch. If you start moving it around or try to break it into clusters while it’s still warm, it will crumble. I recommend a minimum 45 minutes of cool time at room temperature but try to hold out for 1 hour if you can.
- Once the granola is completely cool, break it into pieces of desired size and store in large airtight glass jars to maintain its crunch.
- Serve over coconut yogurt with fresh berries, enjoy with generous splash of cold almond milk, or snack on the clusters straight from the jar.
*Oats are naturally gluten-free but are prone to cross-contamination in processing/packaging. If you’re gluten-sensitive, use certified gluten-free oats to be on the safe side.