Halloumi Salad with Turmeric
for the tahini-turmeric dressing
- 60 ml (¼ cup) tahini
- 3½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper powder
- Freshly ground white pepper
for the salad
- 150 g young turnip greens
- 120 g cucumber, with skin on, thinly sliced
- Half red onion, very thinly sliced
- 250 g halloumi cheese
- A handful of toasted sesame seeds
– for the tahini-turmeric dressing
Add the tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, turmeric, cayenne, a little salt and white pepper in a small bowl and mix well using a wire whisk. Taste and add more salt if needed.
– for the salad
Cut the halloumi into medium-thick slices and lightly oil them on both sides with olive oil. Heat a skillet or non-stick pan on medium heat and add the slices in one layer. Cook them for about 3 minutes on either side until golden.
Rinse well the turnip greens under cold running water, cut off the roots and drain in paper towels. In a large bowl, mix the turnip greens, cucumber and onion. Arrange on a plate and add the halloumi. Drizzle generously with the dressing and finish with the sesame seeds.
Serve immediately with fresh bread.
You can keep the tahini-turmeric dressing in the fridge for a couple of days. It will thicken in the fridge so leave it out on the counter for half an hour before you want to use it.
Also, the dressing may split. It is only natural because it contains tahini, which always splits. Don’t worry about it, just give it a good whisk before using.