Indian Spiced Potatoes – With Fried Eggs
Prep: 10 min Cook: 30 min Total: 40 min
Original Author |delicious
- 4 potatoes, halved
- ⅓ cup (80ml) sunflower oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbs fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tbs curry powder
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 20g unsalted butter
- 6 spring onions, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 long green chilli, seeds removed (optional), finely chopped
- 4 eggs
Optional: Natural yogurt, mango chutney and warm naan bread, to serve
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Add a pinch of salt, bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until just tender. Drain in a colander and leave to cool for a few minutes, then place on a board and cut into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Place a non-stick fry-pan over medium high heat. Add 2 tbs oil and, when hot, sprinkle the mustard seeds into the pan and cook for a few seconds or until the seeds are just beginning to pop. Add garlic, ginger, curry powder and turmeric, and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
- Place the butter in the pan and, as soon as it has melted, add another 1 tbs oil and the chopped potato. Fry for 5 minutes, tossing, until golden and lightly crisp. Scatter the spring onion, chilli and ½ tsp salt over the potato and cook, stirring, for a further 1 minute. Season with ground black pepper. Divide the potato mixture among four warm serving plates.
- Carefully wipe out the pan with paper towel and return to the heat. Add remaining 1 tbs oil and fry the eggs for 2-3 minutes until the white is cooked but the yolk is still runny. To serve, place fried eggs on top of potato and serve with yogurt, mango chutney and naan bread.