Orange Upside-Down Cake
Orange Turmeric Upside-Down Cake
Prep time: 30 mins Cook time: 30 mins Total time: 1 hour
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 2 to 3 oranges (blood oranges add a great colour)
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tbsp fresh turmeric freshly grated
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Butter the inside of a 9-inch cake tin with the tablespoon of softened butter.
- Peel the oranges and cut them into round slices about ¼ inch thick. Place them on the bottom surface of the buttered cake pan, covering as much of the space as possible. The edges of the orange slices should be touching each other.
- In a small pot, combine the milk with the freshly grated turmeric. Place the pot over medium-high heat and bring to a strong simmer. Then turn off the heat, cover, and set aside for 5-10 minutes to allow the milk and turmeric to infuse. Strain through a fine sieve.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour with the baking powder, cardamom and salt.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar and vanilla.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the egg mixture and the strained turmeric milk. Once it’s blended in, fold in the melted butter. Continue to fold the batter until it’s smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin over the oranges. Bake until it’s golden and set, about 30 minutes.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes, and then invert it onto a serving plate or platter. (The cake is best served at room temperature.)