Turmeric Pear Bake
Prep: 20 min Cook: 45 min Total: 1 hour
Original Author | legendairy
Recipe type: Gluten Free
- 4 eggs separated
- ¼ cup [75g] coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- ¼ cup [115g] honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 ¼ cups [120g] almond meal
- ½ cup [50g] desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup [50g] rice flour
- 2 brown pears
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease and line a baking dish with baking paper.
- Using an electric beater, beat egg yolks, sugar, honey, and vanilla in a bowl for 5 minutes or until thick and light in colour. Set aside.
- Thinly slice the pears, lengthways (don’t worry about removing the peel or core) and set aside the most attractive pieces for the top of the bake.
- Combine the almond meal, turmeric, coconut, and rice flour in a bowl. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until firm peaks form.
- Using a large metal spoon fold half of the almond mixture and egg white into yolk mixture until just combined. Repeat to finish ingredients. Spoon half the batter into pan. Top with half of the pear slices in an even layer. Top with remaining mixture and finish with a layer of decorative pear slices. Cook for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
Optional Honey Custard
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon honey
- dash of vanilla extract
- Whisk together the milk, eggs, honey and vanilla in a microwave-safe bowl or jug. Microwave on medium for 3-5 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, or until custard is thick and coats the back of the spoon. Spoon over warm or cool cake to serve