Turmeric Spiced Apple Muffins
Prep: 20 min Cook: 45 min Total: 1.05 hr
Original Author |taste
Recipe type: Gluten & Refined Sugar Free
- 3 large royal gala apples or pink lady apples, skin on, cored
- 30g butter
- 80ml (⅓ cup) coconut syrup, plus extra, to serve (optional)
- 3 tsp grated fresh turmeric or 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 100g (1 cup) fine oatmeal
- 185g (½ cups) sweet potato flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarb soda
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 60ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 340g low-fat Greek-style yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Line twelve 100ml muffin pans with paper cases.
- Cut 1 ½ apples into 1cm pieces. Cut the remaining apple into 3-4cm slices.
- Melt half the butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat. Add sliced apple, 2 tsp coconut syrup and half the fresh or ground turmeric. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until golden and almost cooked. Transfer to a plate. Melt the remaining butter in the pan and add chopped apple, 2 tsp coconut syrup and remaining turmeric. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until almost cooked. Add desiccated coconut and cook, stirring for a further 3-5 minutes or until the coconut is light golden brown. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool completely.
- Combine the oatmeal, sweet potato flour, baking powder, bicarb and cinnamon in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add eggs, oil, yoghurt, 80ml (1 ⁄3 cup) water and remaining coconut syrup. Stir until almost combined. Add chopped apple mixture. Stir to combine.
- Divide muffin mixture among prepared pans. Place 2 pieces of sliced apple on top of each.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through and lightly golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature, drizzled with extra syrup, if you like.