Fish curry with corn bread
|Serves||Curry 4, corn bread 12|
- Canola oil spray
- 1 cup plain flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 cup instant polenta (cornmeal)
- 2 large eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 fresh corn cob, kernels removed (see tips)
- 2/3 cup grated light and tasty cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 250g cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 cups water
- ½ salt-reduced chicken stock cube, crumbled
- 2 x 400g cans no added salt diced tomatoes
- Cracked black pepper, to season
- 600g skinless, boneless white fish fillets (like blue eye or ling)
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- 1 lemon, halved
- Preheat oven to 200C (180C fan-forced). Lightly grease a 12cm x 22cm (top measurement), 9cm x 20cm (base measurement) medium loaf pan with cooking spray and line with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and chilli powder together into a medium bowl. Stir in the polenta. Make a well in the centre. Add the eggs, buttermilk and oil. Stir to combine then stir in corn and cheese.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in the pan for 5 minutes then turn onto a wire rack. Cut into slices. Serve with Fish curry.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan or saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger, curry powder, turmeric and cinnamon and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes or until onion is soft. Add cauliflower and toss to coat in the spices.
- Stir in water, stock cube and tomatoes, and season with ground black pepper. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Cut fish into large pieces. Add to tomato mixture. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until fish is cooked through. Gently stir in spinach. Cook for a further 1 minute until spinach is just wilted. Remove. Squeeze over the lemon juice. Serve with Corn bread
- Make the corn bread in advance to save time. You can replace fresh corn with 2/3 cup of frozen corn kernels or drained, canned no added salt corn kernels.
- If preferred, omit the halved stock cube in Fish curry and replace water with 2 cups homemade chicken stock
- Serve curry with steamed rice instead of corn bread if preferred.