Vegetarian Meatballs in Coconut Turmeric Sauce
|Prep / Cook / Total||30 / 35 / 1:05h|
IngredientsFor the Meatless Meatballs
- 230g cauliflower rice (about 2 cups, see note)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, cold
- 1 cup fresh chopped coriander or parsley
- ½ cup flour (you can use any kind here)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp allspice powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil (to pan fry the meatballs)
For the Coconut Turmeric Sauce
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin (about 2 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1″ fresh ginger root, grated (about 2 tablespoons)
- ½ tsp organic turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp cracked black pepper
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup canned full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- 2 tbsp lime or lemon juice
- ½ cup chopped coriander
- Combine all the meatball ingredients (except the vegetable oil for pan frying) in a large bowl and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the sauce: In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add onions and cook over medium-high heat for 7-8 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and cook for another 2 minutes. Add turmeric, salt, black and red pepper flakes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, lime juice and vegetable broth and let it simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander, remove from heat and set aside.
- To prepare the meatballs, heat the vegetable oil in a separate skillet. Working with 1 heaping tablespoon of mixture at a time, form about 22 meatballs. Arrange them in the skillet and cook over medium heat, 2-3 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Before serving, place the meatballs in the sauce and simmer for 10 minutes (if the sauce has thickened too much, you can add a little water to get the desired consistency).
- Serve warm over rice or quinoa.
- NotesYou can buy cauliflower rice at most grocery stores. You can also make your own by chopping cauliflower in a food processor.Make sure quinoa is cool before making the cauliflower meatballs.