Lobster with turmeric and black pepper butter
|Cuisine||Lunch or Dinner|
- 1 x 2.7kg live lobster
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed, plus 2 extra very thinly sliced (we used a mandoline)
- 5cm piece (35g) turmeric, finely grated, plus extra 5cm piece (35g) very thinly sliced (we used a mandoline)
- 1/2 tsp ground black peppercorns
- Sunflower oil, to shallow-fry
- 8 curry leaf sprigs
1. Freeze lobster for 2 hours to put to sleep. Place on its back on a non-slip work surface to expose the under-surface. Place a sharp knife beneath the mouth parts and cut through head, then back towards tail, halving the lobster lengthways. Discard the dark intestinal vein, stomach sac and gills. Transfer lobster, flesh-side up, to a wire rack over a tray and chill until needed.
2. Preheat oven to 220°C. Grease a large baking tray and line with baking paper.
3. To make the turmeric and black pepper butter, place butter, garlic, grated turmeric, pepper and 1/2 tsp salt flakes in a food processor and whiz until well combined.
4. Spread butter mixture evenly over lobster flesh, then place lobster, cut-side up, on prepared tray and roast for 20-22 minutes or until lobster meat is just cooked through.
5. Meanwhile, heat 2cm oil in a frypan over high heat. Add extra thinly sliced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes or until golden, then use a slotted spoon to scoop out and drain on paper towel. Add curry leaves and cook for 5-10 seconds or until bright green, then scoop out and drain on paper towel. Add extra thinly sliced turmeric and cook for 30-60 seconds or until darkened slightly, then scoop out and drain on paper towel.
6. Transfer lobster and any roasting juices to a large serving platter. Scatter with crisp garlic, curry leaves and turmeric to serve.